Monday, January 7, 2008

The Mitchell Report Wrap-up

I've taken sometime to completely analyze the outcome of the Mitchell report. While it may have taken me awhile to come to conclusion I think that is for the best. This is clearly a sensitive subject and should be treated with utmost respect...

The Mitchell Report: The question comes to mind, what was the point? Seriously, what was the goal here. They say the goal was to clean up the game. Well how did it clean up the game if only 33 of the 86 names were active players? Why run around and talk about ex players when they have no effect on the game anymore? If you really wanted to clean up the game then why not use the 50 million dollars to develop an effective test for HGH. Now thats someone that would clean up the game. Personally, I have to believe that the report was a last ditch effort to save Commissioner Selig's reputation. People say Selig was a good commissioner but I don't see it. Ultimately I don't see how this report solved anything...

Roger Clemens: The biggest name on the report by far. Personally I'm still out on Roger. Please remember that a person in our justice system is innocent until proven guilty. The only evidence on Clemens is that one guy (Mcnamee) said he injected steroids. This would obviously not hold up in court. As of this time Clemens has filed a suit against Mcnamee. Also Clemens just gave his press conference in which he played a tape of a telephone conversation between him and Mcnamee. The conversation was extremely emotional. You have to feel for both peoples families. I can't even imagine what they are going through. My condolences to them. The conversation was a like some dance between the two. While Mcnamee never said "well Roger you did steroids", he also never says "yeah I made it all up". As I write this the sportscenter analysts are ripping them for that. Thats ridiculous. Obviously Mcnamee isn't going to say one way or the other, or he would probably go to jail. At this point I'm still with Roger. Until the evidence is undeniable I will continue to believe that he was clean throughout his entire career...

Ultimately it is my belief that baseball should forget about trying to name names. It's only going to make things more difficult for everyone involved and most likely wont solve anything. We can't change the past, we can only correct the future. Instead of concentrating on what happened lets try and figure out what to do to stop it from happening again...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what is your opinion on the HOF? That is an issue that does depend on the past. I agree that we should be focusing on the future of the sport, but for some people, the past effects their lives. Do you vote in Mcgwire? Clemens (as it stands right now?) Or any of the other names on the list, or anyone you question in general?

That's where the issue is, in my opinion.

Jacob A. Harvey said...

I honestly think it depends. Guys like Mcgwire whose entire career and thus any qualifications they had to make it into the HOF were almost entirely based on steroids I would not vote for. However, guys like Bonds and Clemens who were almost sure fire hall of famers without steroids I would most definitely still vote in. Seriously, how can the all time leading home run hitter not be in the hall of fame, thats almost as ridiculous as pete rose not being allowed in...

Anonymous said...

The crazy thing is, Pete Rose didn't even bet against himself. What's wrong with wagering that you will win? I think it should be encouraged, if anything...

But as for the steroids, who are you to decide that McGwire has juiced stats, yet Bonds/Clemens do not? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that a common standard should be used. Either we ignore all past users (especially from before steroids were banned from the game), or we ban all users. This is also an issue with those who weren't named, but very well could have been using. Do we know about everyone? Obviously there has been a lot of investigation, but as you pointed out, it is pretty obtuse to think that only 80 or so people have juiced in the last 10 or so years.

I also would like to hear your thoughts in regards to using 'roids before the ban. What is wrong with trying to gain an edge, when at the time it was fair?